Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Preparing for the End of the World

I watch a lot of HGTV shows... House Hunters, Income Property, Love it or List it (which is obnoxious, but I still watch from time to time). I try my best to be crafty and do a lot of DIY projects from Pinterest. And I am also obsessed with The Walking Dead.

And it just dawned on me that all of those things are related.

I'm having a little bit of a revelation here, so bear with me.

Yes, my revelations involve home improvement and the zombie apocalypse. I'm a big thinker. Obviously.

Anyway, Rich suggested the other day that I look through my New Year's resolutions and see whether I'm making any progress. So this morning I scrolled through the post I wrote 2 months ago. I'm doing pretty well in some areas (exercising semi-regularly, being less angsty, enjoying the things I have), but in other areas I'm kind of failing.



And one of those not-yet-completed resolutions is learning to shoot a bow and arrow.

Probably the most important one on the list. Right? Who needs self improvement when there are bow and arrow lessons to be had?

So when I realized that I haven't even looked into lessons or anything, I thought of Daryl Dixon, badass crossbow shooting zombie killer extraordinaire, and then for some reason I thought of last night's episode of Income Property.

My brain is wackadoo. But there's a connection, I promise.

The guy on the show (which is about renovating one's basement apartment to rent out for extra "income property", hence the creative title of the show) was working on the renovation and really learning how to do everything the contractors were doing--taking out cabinets, putting in insulation, tearing down walls--because he was thinking of buying more income properties in the future and figured it was best to learn these things himself.

And as I was watching, I was thinking how helpful a lot of that stuff is to learn. At the time, I figured it was just good for future homeownership, but this morning when I looked at my resolutions and realized that I really need to get cracking on those bow and arrow lessons, I realized that DIY home renovations are also, like learning to shoot a bow, incredibly useful skills to have in a zombie apocalypse.

RIGHT?! I'm really proud of my brain for making that connection.

And yes, I think a lot about the zombie apocalypse and I've been formulating a few plans. It's the important things that occupy my thoughts, really.

Obviously, when the undead rise and start chomping on our limbs and the world goes to hell, people who don't know how to use tools or weapons or do anything themselves are going to be some of the first to go.

But the DIYers, like Daryl Dixon, will rule the earth... because they can take care of themselves with limited resources. They can build things, they can fix things, and they can see the potential in everyday objects.

They can also shoot crossbows, because why not?

So in addition to taking some bow and arrow lessons this year, I look forward to learning how to do more handy-work on my own down the line.

To those of you who are fixing up your own houses and getting your hands dirty... congratulations, I think you'll survive just fine when we're overrun by zombies.

To the rest of you, good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment