Thursday, November 29, 2012

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” --L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Let me start with two quick notes. 1. I didn’t mean to go so long without updating. I just got lazy, which really isn’t much of an excuse. But blogging regularly does take some discipline, which I haven’t seemed to acquire just yet. I’m working on it. I will do my darndest to update with much more frequency.

2. I started this post about a month and a half ago, and it’s all about fall. Since we are now in the Christmas season (yay!), I realized that this post will start to sound really out of place (if it doesn’t already) if I hold off any longer. So here you are!

Now, onto the writin’ stuffs.


If you don’t already know, I want you to be aware that I’m a sucker for fall. It is hands-down my favorite season. When I was a kid, winter was my favorite, because, well, winter is perfect for kids—snow days, drinking hot cocoa by the gallon, sledding, Christmas—it really didn’t get better than that. Until I became an adult (which I still dispute), and discovered that winter isn’t all that kind to adults. There aren’t snow days, driving in the snow is almost as terrifying as driving in L.A. traffic, and it’s cold (which apparently didn’t bother me as a kid). I mean, winter is still beautiful and Christmas is pretty much the best time of the year, but I’m now a believer that winter can come on December 1 and leave on, oh, January 12.

But fall… fall is the best. I’m a hopeless romantic when it comes to fall. I adore each and every fall cliché—the crisp air, dreary skies, the earthy smell of crunchy leaves and apples and grass, bonfires, hayrides, the colors (my goodness, the colors!), driving down a road lined with maples and oaks in beautiful hues of red and orange and yellow, long-sleeved shirts and puffy vests and jeans, rosy cheeks, hot cups of tea and coffee, warm apple cider, days spent baking pies, candles burning in the house, cooking warm things like soup and chili and grilled cheese, apple picking, spending lazy days watching movies and listening to the wind howl whilst wearing sweats and slippers, wearing a scarf and gloves but no coat yet, football, weenie roasts, that cool rain that signals that it will soon turn to snow, coming inside from the outdoors with windswept hair, snuggling up under a blanket and reading, Halloween, how it gets dark early and so staying in for the evening is completely warranted… yeah, there are a lot of clichés, but I love ’em all.

But what I just described to you is a northern fall, a Midwestern fall, an anywhere-but-SoCal-fall. I just spent my first full fall in SoCal, and I’ve gotta say, it kind of sucks. From September right on up until about 2 weeks ago, it’s been hot and dry and not a whole lot different from summer. And SoCal fall has made me unbelievably homesick (part of the reason I fell off the blogging wagon). It’s also made me weirdly angry at things toward which I probably shouldn’t be hostile: desert plants, the weather, people in t-shirts and shorts, meteorologists who claim that 80 degrees constitutes “nice fall temperatures.”

I’ll be driving along, having a good day, and suddenly look up at a palm tree and go from happy to homesick in about .02 seconds. And then I get mad at that stupid palm tree and its stupid non-color changing leaves, and it just spirals downhill from there. I don’t think I was terribly pleasant to be around for most of September and October with all my SoCal hate and homesick meltdowns. So send some sympathy toward Rich… the man could use it!

Anyway, I’m sure you can imagine my excitement when I discovered that there are actually towns within an hour’s drive where true fall exists! Not this going-to-the-beach mumbo jumbo that they consider fall round these parts. I’ve even been to one of them, and it’s a magical place that momentarily cured me of my homesickness for a few days!

I made my first solo trip to the little mountain village of Oak Glen back in October, and I went back two weeks ago and took Rich along with me. It is glorious. And it fulfills almost every fall cliché that I so dearly missed. Apple picking, cider drinking, fresh donut eating, mountain hiking, leaves changing, air crisping (?), pie devouring, piglet racing (yup, you read that right)… you can do it all in Oak Glen. It’s probably one of my top five favorite places in California. I just love that I have a place that feels like home just an hour away… how awesome is that?!

Hilariously, Oak Glen is an absolute tourist trap. By noon, every parking lot is packed with cars and every street and shop is jammed with Californians, all seeking a bit of decidedly un-Californian fall.

Check it out in picture form:

Red barns! Cider! So much fall!

This guy behind me was scoffing at everyone taking pictures of donuts. So I took more. Donuts deserve pictures, buddy. Don't make me feel bad about it.

Breakfast.

This is from trip 1... the leaves were only starting to change.

A miniature horse. I got to pet it. I named him Li'l Sebastian.

Apple picking!

On a 2-mile hike. Halfway through, I thought, "Huh, there could be bears on this trail." And then I jumped every time a leaf rustled. For the next mile.

Tourists love fall!

Piglet races. Highlight of the day.

Mile high apple pie! After cupcakes and chocolate, apple pie is the key to my heart.
So anyway, I know that fall is technically a period of time and not a specific weather pattern and I know that homesickness makes one remember the highlight real rather than the actual details, but when I’m at my homesickest (that’s a word now. I decreed it so), and therefore whiniest, it pretty much hurts my soul to not get to experience the fall I so love and adore. So discovering little Oak Glen and having a few other towns like it on my “must-visit” list is a blessing for this Midwesterner in an un-Midwestern place. Cheeseball as that is.

Anyway, back down here in the regular SoCal land, leaves are finally changing… just in time for Christmas music, naturally. And as you can imagine, now I’m cursing the stupid trees for not being pine trees and not being covered in snow. But guess what.

It snows in Oak Glen!

No comments:

Post a Comment