Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote.

I am dating a man who is a British citizen, but grew up with a passion for American football, and immigrated to this country in order to pursue his dream of coaching. He received his MBA in the U.S., and has spent the last 10 years working as a collegiate football coach. But his job is about much more than the sport. He has helped hundreds of young men attend college, when without his recruiting, they might not have ever had the chance. He has guided them through financial aid and the application process, giving them an opportunity that too many young students in this country don't have access to. He has served as a mentor to these young men—guiding them both on and off the field. He trains these athletes to be leaders, teammates, and to put everything they have into everything they do. He works 80 hours per week during the football season, and almost as many out of it.

As a resident of the United States, he pays taxes, he abides by the laws set by our government, he contributes to the economy, and quite honestly, he does more to contribute to society than I, an American citizen, do. He's an amazing person, and someone our country should be proud to welcome.


But instead, he's treated as a second-class citizen. He was on the verge of deportation this past summer, thanks to this country's hostile immigration policies. He had to throw thousands of dollars and STACKS of paperwork at a government who, by making him pay thousands of dollars and file pounds of paperwork, was essentially telling him, “We don't really want you. We're going to make it really hard for you to stay here.” But he did, because he likes this country. He loves his job. I wish that someday I can work in a job that I love as much as he loves his.

And yet, though he works hard, though he pays taxes, though he does SO MUCH to contribute to American society, he can't vote. As he isn't a U.S. citizen, he doesn't have that right. He abides by our laws, but he can’t help choose them. He doesn't have a voice in this democracy.

I was thinking about all of this as I waited in line to vote this morning. All of these thoughts raced through my head, and all of a sudden, this election became so much more important to me. I started to get a little choked up, knowing that there are people out there who don't care, who aren't voting. They're giving up their voice when others don't have one. That breaks my heart. Because my vote wasn't just my vote. It was my boyfriend's, too, much like a parent's vote is also a vote for their children. Our loved ones shape us, and therefore should factor into our decisions. 

I understand that voting is our right as American citizens, and I'm not trying to advocate otherwise. But this election is important. Every election is important. Everyone has their reasons for voting for a particular candidate. My reasons are different from my sisters, parents, friends, co-workers. We all have different experiences that shape our mindsets, and shape our votes. But the fact that we can vote, the fact that we have a voice when so many don't, is the most important reason to get to the polls today.

So vote, please. It's pretty important that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment